Thursday, June 11, 2009

June 11, 2009

It's about 10:30 pm here in Perth and there isn't a whole lot for me to report on regarding the last week or so. We picked up another hard fought game at home in our game last week. It was close pretty much throughout pretty much the whole game. I think the final difference was 8 in our favor. This game was pretty much like many of the ones over the past two months. We just kept grinding and grinding and eventually were able to find some breathing room. Much of this was a result of our defense which is pretty much becoming the "backbone" of our team. This coupled with our ability to run the floor, play fast, and knock down shots gives us a large edge. Again I had a pretty solid game coming off an ankle injury, so I'm fairly pleased about that. 

One thing that I've found interesting (and comical) about Australia and the people here are some of the words that they use. Unfortunately, I had several that I was going to mention, but at this moment can only really think of one or two such words. The first word that I hear often and picked up on the meaning quickly is the word "heaps". This word is used to convey a lot of something. So Australians use this word "heaps" instead of maybe hearing the word many in America.  I don't think I've ever heard this word used back in the states.  However, by far my favorite word that I've heard or even used is the word "dodgy" (I'm bringing this one home). I hear this word all the time. When someone says "dodgy" he or she is describing a bad, dirty, or sketchy person, place, or thing. Example; that is a "dodgy" area to be by yourself. What I like about this word is just its broad use to describe all kinds of things. There are a couple words that I've picked up on. If I remember anymore here soon I'll be sure to let you know. 

Time for me to get some rest. We got two games this weekend. If it's anything like the past ones I'll be needing all the rest that I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment