Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Playoff Win

Hello again. We were able to win our first playoff series in three games (best of three series). It did turn out to be a fairly tough series. We started the round off with our backs against the wall as we lost the first game and were thus facing elimination from there on out. However, following the first game, we had a good week of practice and preparation featuring hard work and good adjustments. The next weekend both games (if needed the 2nd) would be at our home facility. In the 2nd game of the series we jumped all over them and basically crushed them. We won by 25 or 30. It wasn't really even close past the 2nd quarter. Obviously, this was good momentum going into the deciding game the following night, and we used this to cruise to another fairly easy win. Again, in this game we came out and hammered them early, leading as much as nearly 30. In the end they made it somewhat interesting and I think the final difference was 12. Funny incident at the end of the game that pretty much sums up what we did to the other team in the final two games was that I had the ball at the end of the game with maybe a 7 second deferential between the shot clock and game clock. Basically meant that we could get one more shot up or take the shot clock violation but the game wouldn't end with the ball in our hands. As the shot clock ran down I had the ball at the top of the floor right around the mid court circle, and had decided that I was going to shoot it or pass to someone else who could shoot it rather than take the shot clock violation. The defense had already given up the game and weren't going to foul so the guy that was guarding me was a good ten feet off of me. With maybe 2 seconds on the shot clock I took one dribble in from the circle and just let it fly. It's strange, cause when I shot it, it was one of those moments where the ball just seemed to suspend in space for a time, and then it went thru nothing but net and the place just erupted. It was a deep shot....really deep. I think everyone in the gym was kind of shocked that I would shoot it so far out and then almost even more so when it went in. I remember thinking before I shot it that a. I was too tired to drive it or make some kind of play, and b. the games over what the heck just let it go. I guess it was a good exclamation point to finish out the series and definitely created some good laughs. I don't know how many people came up to me after the game and said "great shot" or sarcastically and with a smile on his or her face "that was rude". Definitely capped of a very strong two game performance by our team. 

On to the next task, and a tough task it will be. Our next opponent is the Geraldton team that we split with during the regular season and who also beat us by 35 at there place (5 hours up the road). It's going to be a very tough series and we'll have our work cut out deep for us. 

In other bad news it's about 2 days before the first game against them, and I'm coming down pretty hard with a cold (hopefully just that and not flu). Other teammates are also having similar problems so we're not getting any favors before hand. 

Wish us luck, I'll check in soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment