Monday, August 24, 2009

SBL Champions and Return Trip Home

In reading the headline of the post you can figure that we won the league title. However, I'll backtrack a little bit and give you more of an idea about how we got there since my last post was some time ago. The last update I gave mentioned that I had been sick and missed the first game of the semi final series against a very tough opponent, but we were still able to come away with a win.

The following week that Geraldton team came down to our place trying to force a third and deciding game. It was a Saturday night game in our home gym, and wow did the people come out to support us. I think it was easily our biggest crowd of the year and the people were packed in tight. I remember taking a look up at the fans at one point during the game and saw people sitting in the aisles, standing two or three deep at the top of the stands, and people pulling chairs into the far corners. All this energy translated into an electric and loud crowd (gym holds less than 1000 people). I think this really helped us in the game. The game could best be described as back and forth. I don't think either team led by more than 7 or 8 points at any point in the game. It was just close the whole way thru. With under a minute and a half the game was tied and we were able to make a couple big plays (I hit a three and another player scored a basket, got fouled, and made the free throw) that gave us the lead by 6 with about 50 seconds left. After some free throws on our part and a made three or so thrown in there by the opposition we were able to come away with a 4 point win. It was a good win, gave us a berth in the championship game, and everybody was loving it. I was ridiculously happy that we won, but just as much so that we won that Saturday night in game 2. If Geraldton had beaten us and forced a game 3. It would have been the following afternoon, about 18 hours later. I would have been STRUGGGLINNG. Saturday's night game was another physical contest and I took many hits and shots thru out the course of the game (nothing necessarily dirty, just a hard fought game). It would have taken a while to get going had we played on Sunday.

Everybody on the team, and again many supporters, were so anxious for the championship game the next Saturday night. This story may put it in perspective (for the interest in the game as a whole). When the tickets went on sale to the public on the Tuesday leading up to the game, they sold out in ten minutes. Granted, the site of the championship game is again, not a very large venue with just a little more that a grand capacity probably, but I mean c'mon TEN MINUTES. People all over were fired up for this game. Even more so that the team we were playing were I guess like the face of the league - they play there home games at the venue - so it was basically a home game for them. Only it wasn't a home game for them when Saturday rolled around, I'll touch on this in a moment.

Leading up to the game, we had a great week of preparation and really worked hard to be ready to go. Finally, Saturday came around. It felt like an eternity waiting as we were all so ready to go out and get things going. When we rocked up to the game about and hour and a half before tip off there were already fans lining up waiting to get in. Not just a few fans, I mean a serious number. What made it great was that I think just about all were Lakeside people, so we walked thru the crowd and everybody just started cheering and getting fired up. By the time I had gotten dressed and ready to go onto the floor to get some pregame shots up, the doors had been opened and our fans were quickly filling up the bleachers on both sides. This is probably at least an hour before tip off and a majority of all the Lakeside people were already getting in. By the time the game started I think both bleachers were filled with about 2/3 Lakeside people compared to the rest for the opposition. It was absolutely great. Such a great following and atmosphere by our fans....I know I've gotten on quite a roll about our fans, but really they deserve it, and was an atmosphere and interest that I personally have never experienced before. All this did was just help us and fuel us even farther. And did it show once the game started. We jumped all over the other team, Mike Tyson style back in his prime. Before they knew what happened we were up double digits and led by 12 at quarter time. If you were watching I think you would have thought the other team looked lost and didn't know what hit them. Maybe they weren't quite ready to play, maybe they were. But regardless, we were and we came out hard, really hard. In the first half we got the lead up to as much as 28 points. It would have been easy to think this was the game, and in reality maybe we did a little bit and they got it to 18 at the half. The second half got even more interesting. They played much better, I think we got a little tired after the amount of energy we expended early, and they made the game very close down the stretch, cutting the deficit all the way down to 3!! Honestly, I'll admit that this was kind of a shock. Suddenly, the atmosphere in the stadium was going crazy again and they were feeling very good about their position, and rightfully so. Personally, I'm not going to say that yea I wanted this to happen (it would have been just as sweet to get an easier title game, a blow out), but really, I was seriously enjoying every minute of this. The game got close and there was just the rush of adrenaline, and just realized how fun it was. The atmosphere, what was happening, ect. However, like we've done all season, we responded very well and just kept defending and getting some key stops and made a couple big buckets and were able to get an 8 point victory. Once the buzzer sounded, everybody - players and fans - erupted. It was a good time, and a good celebration. Just feels real good to have put in hard work the whole season, and to have won the regular season title and the league championship (or Grand Final as it's called) was super satisfying. We took pictures, got the trophy, sang our team song, cut down the nets, did all the things a team does after winning a title, and it felt great. It was also nice that the supporters (who have been there the whole season) were able to come onto the floor following the presentation and share the moment while we cut down the nets. This means just about all the Lakeside people who were there joined on the floor. After that, it was out for a little bit to celebrate with the guys and enjoy my last couple nights in Australia.

Yep, I'm finally headed home. It doesn't really seem like finally, as the whole experience seemed to go by really fast. Once that last game was played, those final two days went by extremely fast. So here I am now, 2:30 AM sitting in the Melbourne airport waiting on my 6 AM flight to LA bored as I don't know what. That's why if you're reading this you're probably asking when this post is ever going to end? I got nothing else to do and seemingly all the time in the world. I am glad to be going home, but this journey home is going to absolutely nightmare. Anyways, I'll be home one day in the future - reality, Tuesday night, hopefully. Once I get home I think I'll give a little bit more of a run down on the whole Australian experience, but for now I got to go find some bloody (see more Australian/English slang) food in this deserted airport. See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment